Friday, August 31, 2018

Local Gas Stations and Electric Cars

Local Electric Charging Stations


My wife and I recently bought a Chevrolet Bolt. Our first electric car.

We bought the Bolt because it has great range - 250 miles on a full charge - and because it is priced in the range of most cars. After the Federal tax credit it cost us less than $30,000.

Before owning this car I was of a mind that local charging stations would start popping up the way local gas stations have. After all I see them in all the public parking decks in town. I was told by the car salesman that the Sheets gas stations are all putting in charging stations.

I even downloaded the ChargePoint and EVGo apps to be able to find charging stations.

After owning the car for a month I have radically changed my thinking.

Local EV Charging Stations Will Never be Like Gas Stations


We drive the Bolt 25 to 75 miles a day. We plug it in at home and get a full charge each night.

We will never have a need for a local charging station the way we do for a local gas station.

With our old timey internal combustion engine cars we buy gas only from gas stations. We do not have the option of filling up at home. I know farmers and a few others have their own gas pumps, but most people do not.

Everyone can "fill up" their electric vehicle at home because everyone has electricity at home.

Change Happens Over Time, But It Still Happens


I know I am an early adopter. I know the move away from most cars being gas powered cars is a decade or more away. But that change is coming.

The future is always farther than the past. However, the future is where we are going.

What will be the downstream effects of people not needing to go to the local gas station to buy gas?

What do you think?

No comments: